Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Utah Summer Games / Harrison's First Swim

Last weekend we made a trip down to Cedar City for the 2008 Summer Games. We went with my parents, my sister Jodi and her husband Bernd.

Harrison actually did pretty well in the car on the way down, but things took a turn for the worse later in the weekend when he decided that he wanted to start waking up in the middle of the night. I had to spend one night on the floor because he would only stay asleep on the bed with Sabrina. He had a hard time taking naps by the pool because of all the cheering and start buzzers. It was nice to have my family there to help take care of him. My dad even took him for a walk every morning.



Jodi and I entered some of the swimming events this year instead of the triathlon. It has been over 10 years since I swam competitively at Viewmont High School. I entered 7 events including the 200M Free, 1500M Free, 400M Free, 50M Fly, 200M IM, 100M Free, and 50M Free. It was so much fun to be swimming again! I wish that I would have trained a little more (I only went swimming twice before we went down). I ended up winning a few medals in my age group and was disqualified from the 200M IM for making an illegal turn (it wouldn't be a real swim meet if I wasn't disqualified from at least one event!). Jodi ended up with a couple medals herself and also had a good time (even though she didn't think she did very well, she did awesome!). I think we have about everyone in my family wanting to participate next year. Sabrina was wishing that she would have entered a few events too.



Swimming in a 50M pool was quite a bit different than swimming in a 25 yard pool. For one, meters are a little longer than yards. Also you didn't get the boost off the wall because there were half as many flip turns.

The highlight of the trip for me was taking Harrison swimming for the first time. I was so excited to get him in the pool that I forgot to put on sunscreen and got a pretty good sunburn. Harrison loved the water even though he was ready for a nap. We even dunked him under the water a couple of times. Other than having water in his face when he came up, he didn't seem to mind being put under the water. I have been looking forward to taking him swimming for so long and I finally got my wish!





6 comments:

Jodi said...

You are so nice to say I did well. What a good brother you are. It was fun hanging out with you guys all weekend!

lisamarie said...

Congrats Josh and Jodi on your events! I can't even imagine being a swimmer. I tried to swim a few laps last Saturday and it was pretty hilarious. You are my idols! I'm sure Harrison will take to the water quickly and will be a lifelong swimmer like his dad. super cute.

Kelley said...

It was great fun and you both did well and I also regret not having participated. I'm preparing for next time. Josh, you didn't mention that Harrison was doing frog kicks in the pool... so he's preparing too :-)

Josh said...

Ha ha! I didn't even notice what his feet were doing!

That will be cool to have you and mom swim next year!

Krystal said...

Sounds like a lot of fun! Congrats on winning some medals too! It wouldn't be a trip with a baby if you didn't have something terrible or very inconvenient happen... we've pretty much given up going anywhere! :) I love his hair in the top photo too... so cute! And is it my eyes, the angle of the photo, or did Sabrina chop her hair???

T.R. said...

Nice faux hawk Harrison!