Sunday, April 20, 2008

Salt Lake Marathon Bike Tour

On Saturday I rode in the Salt Lake Marathon Bike Tour with my friend Jonathan. It wasn't really a race, just a ride, but it was a lot of fun. They announced that there were about 1,500 people who had registered as of the night before and that there were probably many more by the time the ride started.

We were towards the back of the crowd and it took about a minute after they announced the start before we could even start moving. There were all types of people doing the ride. Everyone from professionals to novices. There were all kinds of bikes too: road bike, mountain bikes, recumbent and tandem bikes. It was pretty well organized and the police had all of the roads closed off so we never had to stop. Everyone seemed to be having a great time and we only saw a couple wrecks.

At the end of the ride we checked our bikes in with the "valet" so we could get some post ride food. I was surprised to see 7-Eleven there handing out hot dogs and taquitos...pretty weird. I was hoping that they would have Coke Slurpees too, but I was disappointed to find out that they didn't.

After we had had our fill of free food, we picked up our bikes and rode Trax back up the the U where we started. It was a really fun ride and I am hoping to do it again next year...maybe with Harrison being pulled in a trailer.

Also...

I woke up at 5:00 am on Saturday morning and threw my bike in the truck. When I started it up it sounded as if the muffler had fallen off, it was LOUD! I had heard on the radio that people were stealing catalytic converters and recycling the metal in them. Sure enough, some idiot crawled under my truck and sawed off my catalytic converter. The guy I talked to at the shop said that it happens all the time and that they get about 3 cases of the same thing a week. I'm not really sure what you can do to protect yourself...take the bus I guess.

5 comments:

lisamarie said...

That's awesome. I knew a bunch of people running on Saturday - even our uncle Brent I heard! - and I was wishing I was there. Maybe next year! Family marathon anyone????

Josh said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Josh said...

Yeah it was a fun ride. Maybe someday I will do a marathon...

When is your half marathon?

lisamarie said...

July 19... You should do it too!

Josh said...

Yeah right! I'm not really a very good runner...I am doing the Spudman Triathlon in scenic Burley later that month.