Monday, November 24, 2008

BYU vs. UTAH

So what I'm about to say might be appalling to some and maybe offensive to others but also I might have some agree with me. Utah fans of the game on Saturday night were the most abominable fans that i have ever encountered at a sporting event.
Josh and I went to the BYU vs. Utah game Saturday night and our seats were in the North East corner just at the junction of where BYU (visitor seats) and Utah fans sit. So naturally there would be some rivalry and picking on each others fans.
As the game started and we were having a healthy competition on the playing field I began to witness some Utah student fans begin to turn around and yell obscenities of the vilest kind every single play and for at least 10-15 seconds each time. Not just the guys but also the 3 or 4 girls that were with them. It was so obscene and vulgar that I was totally appalled.
After I was reeling from how my ears had been assaulted and my mind had been angered to my right was a couple of middle aged men with who i can only imagine were their adult sons began to yell obscenities to BYU fans as they walked up the stands. I could not imagine what provoked that language from just fans trying to get to their seats. But what infuriated me even more is that as they were yelling obscenities there were young 8-9 year old looking children walking up while these middle aged men swore at them. To my utter shock the younger men commented to them that there were kids with them. Which the men responded "I don't care"!
If that wasn't enough there was an adult family in front of us who were not yelling profanities but were just as taunting. All of the family was put to shame by the outrageous Mother!
But after a few days of reeling in my experience I must admit that were I not just so upset with the vulgar fans I would not have been so put out by the 2 generations of Ute fans.
I was saddened and upset with the appalling sportsmanship of these Ute fans. I have been to many BYU vs. Utah games held at BYU and never witnessed anything so outrageous.
I love my BYU. I am not however an avid sports fan. So I do enjoy watching my BYU cougars win but don't get upset if they loose. It is after all just a game.
I am very grateful that my husband has the common sense to be a light hearted, devoted Ute. But after this experience I will have to have some serious convincing and generous scholarships awarded to allow any of my children to attend the University of Utah.
p.s. sorry if I have offended any Ute fans.

2 comments:

Amy said...

Ute fan here, not offended. It is awful and I wish they understood how it makes us all look like WHITE TRASH. I still love my team, but your right, many of the fans are obnoxious to say the least.

Gords said...

I'll never understand what makes sports fanatics tick. It's one thing to enjoy participating in sports and another to just be a mindless fan.